Tuesday 8 May 2012

Mr Percival


Any of you familiar with the Australian book and film "Storm Boy" will know straight away the reference to 'Mr Percival'. For those of you who don't know the story, Mike (aka Storm Boy) lives a reclusive life in the sand dunes on the coast of South Australia with his father. One day he comes across a pelican mother who has been shot and he rescues the three chicks. He names them Mr Proud, Mr Ponder and Mr Percival, and nurses them back to health. The pelicans are released back into the wild, but Mr Percival returns and a special bond is formed between child and bird. Unfortunately, Mr Percival is shot by hunters, and he dies.


As a child, growing up and living in the UK, I always dreamed of living in Australia and seeing pelicans. Little did I know that my dreams would come true. Mr Percival, above, was snapped at Bribie Island. 

6 comments:

Julie said...

Mr Percival is gorgeous. Prehistoric looking, but gorgeous, nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

Aww, you old softie, you! You'll have to try to get to the Coorong one day, where Storm Boy was filmed.

AL said...

Yes, ytaba36, I am an old softie! I'd love to get to Coorong some day. Julie, I'd never thought of pelicans as looking prehistoric, but I see what you mean

Karl said...

Hi, Mr Percival :)

Pierre said...

Funny character! Hello Mr Percival !

wilf said...

Cute...:)